~The Ultimate Honey Cake~
This is the best Honey Cake I have made and it is taken from a recipe of Grandma Celia with additions of spices from me. I have used it year after year on special occasions and I love it the next day warmed up with butter for a sweet addition to breakfast or a snack. The husband loves to take this one to the office for those coffee breaks and it seems it is a hit with everyone there.
This batch makes 2 loaves as you see in the photos below so a small crowd can each have a piece. Depending on how you cut this, you can get 20 or so slices.
- See Notes Below For Pan Sizing
- 3½ c All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- ½ tsp Cloves Ground
- ½ tsp Allspice Ground
- 1/2 c Vegetable Oil
- 1 c Honey Runny
- 1½ c Sugar Granulated
- ½ c Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 c Coffee Strong & Warm
- ½ c Orange Juice Fresh
- ¼ c Whiskey **See Notes Below
Preheat Oven 350°
Prep Pans. Spray baking spray and line bottoms with parchment paper. You can prep pans with oil if you like, but do line with parchment.
- In large mixing bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the spices.
- With an electric mixer, add to the flour mixture to the oil, honey, eggs, sugars, vanilla, coffee, orange juice and whiskey. Scrape down sides to get it all in the mix. Mix for a few minutes until it is all blended in.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- You can top the cake with almonds or any kind of nuts at this point, but that is optional.
Baker at 350° for the appropriate time *See Notes Below*
- Pans & Bake Time:
- Bundt or Round: 60-70 minutes
- Loaf Pans: 45-55 minutes
- Sheet Cake: 40-45 minutes
- Depending on your oven, start watching the cake at the lowest time posted. It is done when a tester is inserted and comes out clean.
- I always use 2 loaf pans for this recipe and the timing was @58 minutes for one pan and the other was a bit longer because they were two different loaf pans. Just check it every couple of minutes.