This is an off-the-cuff recipe for a lightly stuffed zucchini. Not too long ago I had a couple of zucchini in the fridge that needed to be cooked and since the cabbage soup diet, I have indulged in more plant based foods and products. Albeit I went off it a couple of times, but still have maintained more of a plant-based diet. *No I am not a vegan or vegetarian and yes, I am still baking but sending it off AND I still love bacon but am on hiatus for a bit from it*.
Just a small FYI for the record, no I don’t get paid for anything here on products, I just find them in the store and I like them enough to pass them along. Just as I would at home with friends and family.
So because of that, I am also sharing the use of 2 new products pictured above. One of those is Plant Power Sandwich Thins by Outer Aisle. These are made with cauliflower and I eat them right out of the bag. The other is Go Veggie Parmesan Cheese which is okay. I can’t really say this tastes like Parmesan cheese, but as a sub for adding flavor in this recipe, it worked. However I am a cheese girl and I missed that bold flavor and the hands on grating. I was satisfied enough to pass it along using it here.
As usual I have photos below the recipe to show you steps on what took place in Mrs. Shecky’s Kitchen. I hope you try it and I hope you like it!
~Stuffed Zucchini~Course: Side Dishes
A delicious plant-based stuffed zucchini made with mushrooms and Plant Power Sandwich Thins
2 Zucchinis Par Boiled
4 Mushrooms Diced small
1 Plant Power Cauliflower Sandwich Thin Crumbled small
1 Egg Beaten well
1 Scallion Chopped fine
Salt & Pepper to taste
*Go Veggie Grated Parmesan Cheese* Optional
- Par Boil the Zucchini until they are just soft. About 10 minutes
- Do not overcook as the zucchini will tear when removing the insides.
- Let cool for about 20-30 minutes.
- When cooled enough to handle, slice the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the insides.
- Note: Do Not throw the insides out. Put them in a bowl, we need the insides for the stuffing mixture below.
- Lay the scooped-out halves on a sheet pan.
- Stuffing Mixture
- Add to the zucchini scooped out insides: the beaten egg, onions, and mushrooms. Mix it all up.
- Crumble up one slice of the Plant Power Sandwich Thins and mix it in with the ingredients in #4 above. Mix. *If you feel the mixture is too watery, add another half.
- This works along with the egg as a binder while baking.
- Depending on the flavor of your Plant Power Sandwich Thin you may not need salt and pepper.
- Divide the stuffing equally between the empty shells of the zucchini boats.
- Top with Go Veggie Parmesan Grated Cheese *optional.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 45 minutes then check it. I bake until it is browned and because I only put one “Thin” in the mix I baked it for another 15 minutes.
- *Again… depending upon your oven temp the baking time may differ a few minutes.
- Want Cheese instead? Sub the Go Veggie with grated Asiago or Parmesan.
- The sandwich thin can be sub’d with bread crumbs or Panko.
- Add bacon on top if not eating plant-based.
- Use egg white if not wanting the yolk.
- Use no egg but you may find you need a bit of liquid such as a tablespoon or so of stock added into the mixture.
- Add other veggies and make more!