Eating healthy isn’t a new thing. It has always been here. I remember when sprouts tasted like hay and eating raw eggs was the new in-thing to do. But who wants that anymore. That is the beauty of knowing how to mix foods and seasonings to taste. Its all a learning experience because we all grow and grow up. Otherwise we might as well be in the field with the cows chewing the stuff.~Mrs. Shecky Said So~
I am not a fan of Kale, by itself anyway. I started using it in drinks about 10 years ago. It has many benefits for Mrs. Shecky and luckily, aside from my sweet tooth, I do take care of my health and having a bit of Kale can keep me in check. However, in saying that it is not for all. Kale is a heavy green which can work backwards for many who take certain medications as it contains a lot of Vitamin K, so I would check before indulging. Not all greens are healthy for us because they can interact. But, I am a lucky one and this one drink sustained me while riding my motorcycle from California to South Dakota a few years ago. Not so bad for a baby boomer old bag.
An easy and healthy smoothie to make:
Kale & Strawberry Smoothie
- Pot for steaming or boiling Kale
- ½ c Kale -Pureed Pre-blend Steamed Kale
- 1 c Strawberries – Pureed Pre-blend 2-16 oz packs of strawberries, hulled
- 1 Whole Banana
- 1 tbsp Honey Optional
- 1 c Almond Milk Or any milk of your choice
- Take one bunch of washed Kale and discard the heavy stems keeping the leaves. It's okay to keep the smaller stems.Steam or cook for 7 – 10 minutes in a pot with water then run the Kale under cold water.Put the Kale in a blender and puree until smooth. Store in an air tight container until use.
- Wash, and de-hull the strawberries and puree until smooth in a blender. Store the puree in an airtight container until use.
- Blend all the ingredients measured out above and add the milk for your desired thickness. Sweetener is optional.
- That's what it says. Drink it. Be happy.
Kale: I cook or steam the Kale. After taking the heavy stems off, boil it for about 7-10 minutes and run cold water over it. If you prefer, steam it. Some people eat it raw, but for myself steaming is the way to go. I then blend it to almost a puree and put it in a container to have on hand.
Fruits: I also blend my fruits. This time I blended 2- 16oz packs of organic Strawberries so I would have more to use later on.
Banana. This is always a thickener and a sweet for me with its potassium benefits, so I normally always throw one in the blender.
No I do not use ice I think it waters it down and I like the thickness but you can!
Drink it…Tastes good and is good for you.
Eat well and stay healthy,