Eating healthy isn’t a new thing. It has always been here. I remember when sprouts tasted like hay and eating raw eggs was the new in-thing to do. But who wants that anymore. That is the beauty of knowing how to mix foods and seasonings to taste. Its all a learning experience because we all grow and grow up. Otherwise we might as well be in the field with the cows chewing the stuff.~Mrs. Shecky Said So~
I am not a fan of Kale, by itself anyway. I started using it in drinks about 10 years ago. It has many benefits for Mrs. Shecky and luckily, aside from my sweet tooth, I do take care of my health and having a bit of Kale can keep me in check. However, in saying that it is not for all. Kale is a heavy green which can work backwards for many who take certain medications as it contains a lot of Vitamin K, so I would check before indulging. Not all greens are healthy for us because they can interact. But, I am a lucky one and this one drink sustained me while riding my motorcycle from California to South Dakota a few years ago. Not so bad for a baby boomer old bag.
An easy and healthy smoothie to make:
Kale & Strawberry Smoothie
- Pot for steaming or boiling Kale
- ½ c Kale -Pureed Pre-blend Steamed Kale
- 1 c Strawberries – Pureed Pre-blend 2-16 oz packs of strawberries, hulled
- 1 Whole Banana
- 1 tbsp Honey Optional
- 1 c Almond Milk Or any milk of your choice
- Take one bunch of washed Kale and discard the heavy stems keeping the leaves. It's okay to keep the smaller stems.Steam or cook for 7 – 10 minutes in a pot with water then run the Kale under cold water.Put the Kale in a blender and puree until smooth. Store in an air tight container until use.
- Wash, and de-hull the strawberries and puree until smooth in a blender. Store the puree in an airtight container until use.
- Blend all the ingredients measured out above and add the milk for your desired thickness. Sweetener is optional.
- That's what it says. Drink it. Be happy.
Kale: I cook or steam the Kale. After taking the heavy stems off, boil it for about 7-10 minutes and run cold water over it. If you prefer, steam it. Some people eat it raw, but for myself steaming is the way to go. I then blend it to almost a puree and put it in a container to have on hand.
Fruits: I also blend my fruits. This time I blended 2- 16oz packs of organic Strawberries so I would have more to use later on.
Banana. This is always a thickener and a sweet for me with its potassium benefits, so I normally always throw one in the blender.
No I do not use ice I think it waters it down and I like the thickness but you can!
Drink it…Tastes good and is good for you.
Eat well and stay healthy,
From one old bag to another, congratulations on your achievement. 👍
Ha! It’s not so bad being an old bag is it! It is freeing. Thank you!
Kale doesn’t have to much flavour however is so healthy, so it’s better for those who don’t like much veggies to drink it like a smoothie 👌 good job
Agree. Personally, for me, I just don’t like spinach or kale, but I do love veggies. Years ago I was shown how to make it this way to get some good vitamins in while I hiked so it has worked for me ever since. I don’t like fish either and I really wish I did.
Hmm I’m not a fan but if others enjoy, then that’s great! 🙂
I have to disguise the kale taste but this is pretty good.
Comments are closed.