I remember when adding soda to a cake mix was popular among my mother’s friends who did it all the time for the kids because it was quick. I have never done one… until now. The COVID pantry is expiring and the bake is on. So here is my version for this episode of Mix the Mix and, I will say, I was surprised on how simple it was to make and it was pretty good. Who knew only 2 ingredients can give you a basic cake ready to eat right out of the cupboard. I’m glad I tried it.
- 2 – 8" Pans
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR AN ORANGE FLAVORED CAKE
Preheat oven to 350°
Prepare 2 – 8" pans with baking spray and parchment bottoms. This is a sticky cake so do it.
- 1 Box Cake Mix White (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1 12 oz Can of Soda Orange
- 1 Zest Orange
- 1 Juice Orange
- 1 tsp. Orange Extract
- Mix all the ingredients with a good whisk or mixer. It will be foamy-like and will take a bit longer to blend. I used a whisk until it was all blended well then added the juice of the fruit and zest. I also added 1 teaspoon of my Orange extract that I made, but I think you can pass without it since this, to me, is an anything goes recipe
Pour Into Prepared Pans
- Using two prepared 8″ pans divide the batter. It doesn’t look like a lot when poured in the pans but it does rise enough for a layer cake.
- Cool for about 15-20 minutes then transfer to a rack and let it cool completely. I found this cake to be a bit fragile so be sure to cool it enough so that it doesn't break up before the rack.
- This recipe used a buttercream frosting with zest and again a little extract. This could be any frosting or none at all.
Bake at 350 and until tester comes out clean
Visual & Babble:
Depending on the pan size keep an eye out on the timing, about 20-25 minutes. In my oven this was done when tested with my cake tester at about 25 minutes.
Voila, it is done and ready to devour and throw on to those hips of ours.
- Cake Mix – I used Betty Crocker because that is what was on the shelf via COVID pantry pile up, which is why I started the *Mix the Mix* episodes.
- Soda 12 oz. – San Pellegrino orange sparkling beverage was the choice dujour because I really didn’t have anything else.
- Zest of an Orange or a couple of Cuties ( I used Cuties because Mrs. Shecky likes to eat them so I had those on hand)
- Use the juice of the fruit to add to it. The Cuties were a good size to squeeze one in.
Additives: I think depending upon the cake you can add whatever soda to go with it, i.e., cherry soda and chocolate cake with cherries & nuts chopped up in the frosting. Really, I think anything goes here so be creative.
This cake came out moist. It is not dense at all and I am going to give it a green light for those last minute off the shelf moments. I did add the juice of a mandarin (Cutie) so I am assuming that some moisture came from that. But, since it is moist, be careful transferring to the cooling racks.
It is a sweet cake so be prepared for that. If I do this again I will probably freeze one of the layers (which is my normal but I really didn’t think this was going to turn out so I did the whole cake layered).
So there you go for a third Mix The Mix.
I am rating it a thumbs up for that last minute desert because of ease and the fact you can flavor a cake mix just about any way you wish. I was happily surprised at the outcome and taste.
Last words: Use that mix before it expires. You bought it, hack it, use it.
Enjoy the bake 🙂