~Squash Soup & Biscuits~
It is not hard to make soup out of squash but just in case you have never tried it, this is how easy it is. In fact, any Winter squash you wish to use and any liquid can be substituted here in this recipe. It is one of my *anything goes* recipes that is simple, healthy and delicious and perfect for cold weathered days.
- 1 Sweet Dumpling Squash Medium
- 1 Golden Acorn Squash Medium
- 1 Yam Medium
- 1 Banana Optional
- 1 Yellow Onion Small-diced
- 1 32 oz Bouillon 1 whole box + liquid of your choice. *See notes
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- Water, Cream or Milk for consistency
Prep-Squash & Yam
- Cut squash in half and take the seeds out. Be careful here. Squash can be hard to cut. Take it slow and watch what you are doing.
- Add the yam after de-seeding the squash and rub all with olive oil. *You do not have to skin the yam. Just bake it with skin on with the rest of the squash. Poke a couple of holes in it so it doesn't pop. *sometimes they do that*.Salt and Pepper (or don't).
- Put all face down on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° until tender. About an hour-ish. Check the oven every 1/2 hour so you don't burn them. Depending on the size of the squash and your oven, you may have more time to cook. You can tell they are done when poked with a fork and are soft.
Prep Onion & Saute
- In a pot large enough to handle the squash soup, saute the diced onion in oil or butter (your choice) until the onion is clear.
In The Pot
- When the squash is cooled enough to handle, scoop out the pulp into the pot that the onion is in. Keeping the flavor is key to this, so I do the one pot soup here. The skin is easy enough to just slide off the yam and squash. If not, don't worry, just scoop it out with a spoon.
- Mash it all up in the pot. Add the banana (optional).
- Add spices
- Add the bouillon. If you do not want so much bouillon, this is the point where you can add another liquid such as water, milk, cream. This is also the point of making the consistency to your liking. Thick or thin, it's your choice.
- I use an immersion blender to get this really smooth. If you like a denser soup, mashing will do you just fine.
I did a Mix The Mix with this. Yes, I did and it was good and simple with Bisquick. You can click on the image and go to that recipe too. Simple, and again, adding flavors to the mix added a special hearty addition to the soup.
There you go, a very simple basic squash soup recipe that is healthy as well as tasty. Adding your favorite seasonings and liquids and dollops of sour cream can make a wonderful cold weather soup any which way you choose.
I’ll try a bowl, please? 😊
Yes! 🙂 So easy to make!
Comments are closed.