~Dulce De Leche~
Here’s a simple recipe from Mrs. Shecky’s Kitchen to you to take your sweet tooth into yummysville. Pour this tasty topping on breads and cakes for a really extra special desert and don’t leave out the ice cream either. This is so easy to make and for the price of one can of sweetened condensed milk you can’t go wrong.
This is my banana muffin cake recipe with blueberries added in the recipe and it is delicious with this topping.
Dulce de Leche
Similar to caramel sauce but made with one ingredient and so easy.
- Shallow Baking Dish
- 1 14oz Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk into a shallow baking dish. Pyrex or a glass pie baking dish is perfect.
- Cover the dish tightly with Aluminum Foil. It not only keeps the water out, but helps the milk carmalize.
- Put the wrapped dish into a larger baking pan or dish.
- Add hot water until it reaches about half way up the wrapped baking dish. This is a water bath that will give the milk an even cook.
Bake at 425°
- Set the roasting pan into the oven. Cook for at least one hour and check the color. The longer you bake it the darker and thicker it gets. It will thicken up after refrigeration.
- When it is at your desired thickness, take off the foil and then whisk it until it is smooth. This may take a few minutes but it will smooth out and become a wonderful topping.
I tend to cook mine for about 1 1/2 hours to a medium caramel color. You can just take it out and take a peek under the foil. Remember, don’t get any water in the dish though. When you whisk it, don’t fret. It may take a few minutes to smooth out and get glossy. Be a bit patient here. Note: There are other ways to make this, however I use this method because I am too freaked out about unopened cans exploding in water. I remember once that happened with my mother and it is implanted in my head. I may try it again still, but since this method has never failed me I trust it, plus it is just too easy.
Calories: 3.21kcalCarbohydrates: 0.54gProtein: 0.08gFat: 0.09gSaturated Fat: 0.05gCholesterol: 0.34mgSodium: 1.27mgSugar: 0.54g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
This can be used in so many recipes and is another staple here at Sheckyville. I love it in my coffee for an added extra treat in the afternoon….when no one is looking *shhhh:* And to get really decadent, don’t forget to pour it over some homemade ice cream. Ooohhhh yea.
This will last about 2 weeks in the refrigerator in a mason jar or any air tight container.
Another easy peasy recipe from Mrs. Shecky’s Kitchen to you.
Very nice blog
I’m so happy you like it, thank you!
That looks so delicious – thank you for sharing the recipe!
You are so welcome!
Comments are closed.