Well, I have been trying to discover ways of cooking a granola type of cookie just for a healthier take on snack time and I discovered that my tried and true granola mix influenced me a bit here. I think I got it. With chopped dates and bananas it is sweet enough without adding sugar. However, I have only made two batches of it but I think any way you add or take out items it will be to your liking and still sweet enough without adding sugar.
Oat & Banana Cookies – No Added Sugar-No Flour
- Cookie Sheet
- 2½ c Oats *See Notes
- 3 Ripe Bananas Smashed
- 1 c Dates Pitted and Chopped
- ½ c Chopped Nuts
- ⅓ c Applesauce
- ⅓ c Honey Runny
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Clove
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Preheat Oven to 350°
- In a bowl, mix the smashed bananas with all the ingredients and stir well to coat all.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes or so to let the oats soak up some of the applesauce and honey.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. I use an ice cream scooper to keep the cookies the same size for an even bake.
- At this point you can press the cookies down a bit or just leave them rounded. I press them down. These cookies do not spread so if you press them down keep that in mind when placing cookies on the sheet.
- Bake at 350° for @20 minutes turning the sheet pans half way through the baking time.
- *Depending on your oven's normal running temp, check cookies a couple of times. You do not want them to burn on the bottoms.
- Cool completely
I say “healthy” without being a health nut so be your own judge. I suppose it is just “healthier” than the normal sweet tooth that Mrs. Shecky has here. This little cookie fills me up and with a cup of tea or a cup of coffee it hits the spot just fine. Hope you like it and if you have any changes to it, that would be great to hear about those too.
From Mrs. Shecky’s Kitchen to yours,